Monday, May 30, 2011


In what seems like the blink of an eye, my baby boy has crossed over the preschool threshold, stepping into the world of  kindergarten.  Just like that.  A quick flip through a few calendars and here we are, ready for him to enter "real" school.  I remember shortly after he was born (sadly!) imagining him entering kindergarten and all that would mean for me.  Selfishly, my imaginations were laced  with thoughts of free-time, choices, and quiet.  I'm okay with being a little selfish.  I've logged in enough hours to be rewarded a little time off come late August.  I intend to enjoy the quiet and the free-time and the choices, fully knowing that having 4 children in school will fill up my calendar and absorb many of the quiet moments that I am anticipating.   I have watched my Michael grow into a smart little boy, eager to experience the "school club" that his sisters are already seasoned members of . He has said goodbye to his toddler years in many ways over the past year of pre-school.  He's taller and smarter, and more confident.  As he walked down the aisle last Thursday night, with his arms crossed protectively over his body, he gave me a sweet smile that said "I'm ready - bring it on!" And even though I feel a rush of sadness in watching him grow up, I realized that in saying goodbye to this stage, I get to say hello to the next stage for him. Kindergarten - what an exciting and fun stage of life!  


 The stage where he gets to learn how to read; the stage where he gets to eat lunch at school; the stage where he carries a backpack and is responsible for what is inside of it; the stage where he brings home stories about new friends that will accompany him through his elementary school years.  A part of him will always be my baby boy, but I'm so excited to read the next chapter of his story. The last five chapters have been SO good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment