Friday, July 15, 2011

One of my favorite little books is
It is a tale of a sweet lady named Alice, who spreads
beauty around her 
and makes
the world a more beautiful place.

The kids and I read it all the time.



Largely because of this story, the lupine has become one of my favorite flowers.
It borrows a tropical vibe from flowers grown in a much wetter
climate than ours, yet still offers vibrantly colored blossoms spurred on by our
hot
Colorado sun.
When we were in Aspen last weekend, I was delighted to see
fields of lupines all around the town. 
Every corner we turned brought another variety and color
of the flower.

As we walked around I was reminded of
Alice Rumphius
and one of her purposes in life...
to make the world a more beautiful place.

She spread seeds of lupines so that
they grew all over the hillsides that surrounded the places
that she lived.
She shared this beuaty with others as they got to
enjoy the flowers that she planted.
What if she had sown weeds?  Or nothing at all?
What if she had not had a purpose that involved anyone but herself?

She wanted to bless others
 and make their world a more beautiful place.

I want nothing less for my own life.


Galatians 5:22-23



3 comments:

  1. I want to read that book now. It sounds so good! LOVE your analogy at the end. Great reminder for us all. What are we planting? Every day we have the chance to plant something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book. Miss Rumphius author, Barbara Clooney was my family doctor's wife in MA. The illustration of the library is based on the one in I grew up going to as a child in MA. When I read the book, I am right back there as a child, opening the big wooden doors walking in and looking for books, using the card file and going up the beautiful staircase that went upstairs! Treasured memories. It's a wonderful book...with a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete